This is my first New Year’s Quiz. I borrowed the idea from my friend Maria (whom I’ve known since we were in middle school). Thanks for the idea!
<<This picture is from a couple of years ago when my husband & I used to go all out for New Year’s>>
1. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before?
Raised a little boy from newborn to toddler.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Honestly, I didn’t even make New Year’s resolutions last year. I was only sleeping in 2-3 hour increments and had said goodbye to my sweet Lambchop on December 30th after she lost her long battle with cancer.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
In “real life,” no. Online, several friends!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Not anyone close to me, but extended family. My poor Gaga (my Mother’s Mother) lost two brother and a sister this year. She is the last one living of five siblings.
5. What countries did you visit?
None, visited a couple of states though – NC, FL.
6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
More “me” time, for my sanity. Is that even possible as a stay at home Mom? I need to exercise more- for my mental health.
7. What dates from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Saturday, August 21st. Greg threw a surprise party for my 30th birthday. I’ve never been surprised like that and it was so wonderful to have all my loved ones there to celebrate.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Does keeping another human being alive count? I’m proud that Greg & I have raised Jackson to be a good little person so far.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Keeping the house clean and organized all the time now that I stay at home. I thought it would be far easier than it is.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nothing major, although as of today (December 31st) I’m on the mend from an awful stomach virus.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
A Canon 50D dSLR. Learning more about photography has been great, however now that my son moves I have a lot of “back of head” shots.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Greg’s. Greg has been an extremely supportive husband and dad throughout my transition from career woman to SAHM (99% of the time).
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Probably my Dad. He’s a jerk and I haven’t heard from him since May. However, he did manage to send me a Christmas card (addressed just to me with my maiden name) with a picture of his new wife and kids with no personal note, not even a signature. I need to quit bring surprised by his actions, or lack of, some things never change.
14. Where did most of your money go?
House, retirement, savings and Jackson.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Every little milestone Jackson hit. My heart melted the most when he said Mama though.
16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
I’m pretty sure this was supposed to say 2010. I’d say “Like a G6.” And I’ll remember tequila shots and bar dancing at our best friends’ house.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier
b) thinner or fatter? Thinner.
c) richer or poorer? eh, about the same.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Sitting around on the computer, doing nothing.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
My husband’s family is polish so we do a traditional Wigilia on Christmas Eve, that is our big day. We had 14 people over and had a feast! Christmas day the three of us exchanged gifts then headed over to Greg’s aunt & uncle’s to eat some more and see more family. It was a great Christmas!
21. Did you fall in love in 2010?
I fell more in love with my husband after becoming our own family.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
TV has really fallen off the list of my priorities. I barely watched any, but if I did it was Dexter.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
No, thank God. Life’s too short to hate.
24. What was the best book you read?
The Hunger Games.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
For me? Mumford & Sons. For Jackson? His Rock a Baby class.
26. What did you want and get?
I’m spoiled. This year was good in the Apple department, we got a new Macbook Pro, iPhone 4 & iPad.
27. What did you want and not get?
A bigger, single family house– but I still love our townhouse so I’m not upset about that at all.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
I didn’t see many, but the one that comes to mind first is Inception.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
September 16th I turned 30. Greg had surprised me with a party a month early so on my actual birthday my Grandma was in town and treated my girlfriends & I to Melting Pot. (Greg was in Philly for a boys baseball weekend)
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I can’t complain, 2010 was really good to me.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
Much less designer than 2009. Ann Taylor turns Target yoga pants.
32. What kept you sane?
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Fancy, as in, I think he is hot? Ryan Reynolds.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Since I’m not in my car all day I don’t listen to talk radio and am out of the loop on many current events; however Don’t Ask Don’t Tell really riles me up.
35. Who did you miss?
My family in Florida, mostly my Mom. I miss my Mom being able to pop by to have coffee or going shopping to TJMaxx with.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
My friend Beth-Ann, who I met at a New Mom’s Group and has become one of my best friends.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010.
Life is too short to sweat the small stuff. Enjoy every day.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
When we drink we do it right gettin slizzard
Sippin sizzurp in my ride, like Three 6
Now I’m feelin so fly like a G6
Just kidding, that’s only on the occasional night we get to go out sans-baby.
This is more 2010 for me:
I hear babies cry, I watch them grow
They’ll learn much more than I’ll never know
And I think to myself what a wonderful world
Life has never been better for us, and I hope 2011 will bring the same for you & me!
Happy New Year!
<<one of my favorite family pics of 2010, from Jackson’s birthday party. This New Year’s Eve we will spend it as a family at the Providence Children’s Museum, then to my sister-in-law’s for pizza>>