I need help! I’ve read books, web sites and asked friends but it doesn’t seem to be working. I have no idea how to discipline a toddler.
We are encountering the normal toddler “attitude” issues: hitting, throwing food, kicking during diaper changes, etc. He doesn’t hit very often, mostly just our poor dog, but I want to prevent it from getting worse. My biggest issue right now is the food throwing. I’ve written about how skinny Jackson is and how it’s a struggle to get him to eat a good meal and gain weight. I spend all day trying to get the kid to eat and he spends his entire day shaking his head no at my food or throwing it to the dog.
I need your help! How do you get a toddler to eat and what can I do when he throws his food? If he was a chubster, I would have no problem taking the food away and ending the meal. Unfortunately, he can’t afford to miss a meal and I don’t know what to do when he starts off his meal by throwing pieces right at me. I would LOVE any advice you can give me, so let me detail what we have tried thus far:
- Ending the meal once the throwing starts
- Ignoring it (he will then throw with sound effects and make sure to hit you with the next throw)
- Putting him in time out (I’ve tried the time out in a corner- he lasts about a second which is expected for 14 months old, we’ve also tried the time out with his high chair in a corner and he just cries)
- Using a stern voice saying NO (to which he smiles and shakes his head no)
- Feeding him ourselves (he will clamp his mouth shut and bat your hand away)
It’s during parenting times like this I am so thankful to have a community of Moms and Dads who have been through this before and have ideas to help.
Please let me know what worked (or didn’t) for you, I’m running out of ideas! Thank you!