Ok, since Jackson is a threenager he might be better labeled a “preschooler” but traveling with 2 toddlers sounds more exciting. On Tuesday, I flew solo from Rhode Island to Tampa, Florida with an 18-month-old and a 3-year-old, with only the help of strangers. I survived, even though it was an eventful trip. I’ll give a quick run-down of the morning:
- Wake up the entire house at 4:45 am
- Get dropped off at the airport with 3 suitcases, 2 children, a double BoB jogging stroller and a car seat (watch fellow passengers run in fear at the site of you)
- My flip-flops had explosive material on them. What?
- TSA at the Providence airport were very helpful and a lady TSA officer helped me through the security line and took me to the side to scan the double stroller (which is about 5 feet wide by 10 feet long).
- It’s a good thing she was friendly because after my flip-flops tested positive in their “explosives scanner,” (what is the technical term for that thing?) I had to get patted down by her. Patted down everywhere. Then those gloves were double scanned for *more* explosives.
- Sidney freaked out at the site of a gloved officer rubbing me down at 6:15 in the morning, but eventually calmed down when they let us go after determining we weren’t packing any explosives.
- Once I managed to get the giant convertible car seat to balance above their heads on the handlebar, we strolled down to our gate (the one at the end of the corridor, of course).
- 20 minutes later, I went to grab my iPhone to take a picture of the loaded down stroller when I realized my phone was missing. SHIT.
- We ran back down to security, where the woman who had paged someone for a lost cell phone asked if it was my blackberry she found. Nope, haven’t had a blackberry since my corporate days…
- Fortunately, the bomb squad guy who had scanned my stuff earlier offered to call my number from his cell phone. Silence, of course. They took my giant tote filled with All. The. Things. back to the x-ray scanner to see if they could spot the phone. On the way there, he spotted my iPhone in its GIANT Otterbox case laying on the ground.
- Reunited with my phone again, just in time to take up all of the room boarding the plane.
- We made it, with the help of some kind strangers who either prevented Sidney from running down the jetway while I folded the stroller or carrying her car seat on the plane for us.
- Jackson decided “he’s a baby” and had to sleep in the car seat the entire flight. Sidney sat next to me in her own seat, like a 3-year-old.
- We made it! Florida is great. Very hot. I forgot how much you sweat down here, even in April.
- We’re off to Disney Sunday for a few days and I can’t wait to see how excited the kids will be.
I hope you had a wonderful week and have a fantastic weekend. 🙂