A major struggle many moms face after birthing their children is taking care of themselves. Nights are spent waking every couple of hours to feed their newborns and it may take up to a year to get a full night’s rest. I know that I didn’t sleep longer than 3 hours in a row for 3 years straight. Basically 2009-2012 were a sleep-deprived blur for me.
When I was pregnant and my bladder shrunk to the size of a pea, I had to wake up every hour to use the restroom. Then I breastfed a newborn who never slept, got pregnant when he was 12 months old (and still not sleeping through the night) and started the vicious cycle over. I gained 45 pounds with my first, lost it, then gained 60 pounds with Sidney (being pregnant with my daughter made me want to eat ALL the cupcakes, obviously).
Fast forward to 2013 and I knew I needed a little more “me” time, for both my physical and mental health. I lost all my pregnancy weight by 9 months after my daughter was born by using MyFitnessPal and tracking what I ate and weighing myself constantly. People complimented me on losing all the baby weight but I knew there was a better version of myself, something was still missing.
I was “skinny fat.” I knew it though and wanted to change. All of my pre-pregnancy clothes fit but I would run out of breath chasing my kids in the yard. This June I decided to quit pinning crap on Pinterest about living a healthier life and actually got my ass off the couch to do it. The stars aligned perfectly and a CrossFit box opened up minutes away from my house. I checked out No Risk CrossFit’s web site and signed up for a 6am class before I had the chance to talk myself out of it.
“SIX AM?! That’s insane!” is what most people say when they hear about my newfound love of CrossFit but you know what? Six AM is the BEST time for mothers to get their fitness on at CrossFit, here’s why:
- You will get a few glorious minutes of silence while drinking your coffee since everyone in the house is sleeping.
- Waking up so early forces you to get to bed at a decent hour and get at least 7 hours of sleep. Gone are the days of wasting time on Pinterest until some ungodly hour.
- You’re home before my kids are awake. I have time to take a quick shower and make breakfast for the kids and say goodbye to my husband before he leaves for work.
- No need to hire a babysitter and your husband doesn’t have to change his plans to watch the kids.
- Get your butt kicked in an awesome, always-changing workout in under an hour.
- The people I work out with are very encouraging, kind and fun. My “6 am grinders” group is such a diverse group that blends together to make the best team environment. Combined with a motivating coach, there is no other workout I’d rather do. Let’s be honest, when I was a member of a regular gym I would never push myself as hard.
- I have new goals in life that I never imagined: climb a rope faster, do a strict pull-up, walk on my hands. Challenge yourself to be the best version of yourself! Your kids are watching.
Part of me wishes I would have found CrossFit sooner but I firmly believe that everything in life happens at the right time and place. Better to have found a healthy lifestyle at 32 than 62 (or never at all). This weekend, I’m wrapping up a 30 day mind/body transformation that No Risk CrossFit is hosting for its members and I have never felt better; my mind is clear and my body strong. I’ve also haven’t stepped on a scale all month and that is a huge relief.
If you’re a mom and looking to improve your life, I urge you to check out CrossFit. Every “box” (CrossFit gym) is different, but I’ve found a welcoming home at No Risk and hope you can do the same. If you don’t have one nearby, check out CrossFit.com to see what their Workout of the Day (WOD) is- many can be done at home while the baby naps.
I know everyone likes a good before and after picture, so I’ve scoured my computer for pictures. Having been in a sorority, I’ve mastered the ability to look thinner in pictures than I actually was and I wouldn’t have been caught dead in a bikini for many years so this was the best I could do. Just know I FEEL a million times better and I am thankful to No Risk & CrossFit for giving me the motivation I needed to get it done.